There are scammers lurking and taking advantage of renters looking to rent home. Find out below how to avoid them.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK
You Google everything else! Do you homework. :)
1. Do a quick Google search to confirm county of property.
2. Located county records or tax assessor website. (Example: www.qpublic.net/ga/fulton )
3. Look up address on county/tax website to find out the owner of the property's name. If you are able to speak directly to the owner, ask questions like, when did they purchase the home? The last date can be found on the county/tax website.
4. If you they say they are the property manager, look them up on the GA Real Estate Commission Website:
5. If they are a lawyer handling the landlord's affairs, look them up on the GA Bar Association Website:
6. Google the name of the contact person and the address to see what comes up, like another listing or etc.
TYPES OF SCAMS
Some scammers hijack a real rental or real estate listing by changing the email address or other contact information, and placing the modified ad on another site. The altered ad may even use the name of the person who posted the original ad. In other cases, scammers have hijacked the email accounts of property owners on reputable vacation rental websites.
Rip-off artists make up listings for places that aren’t for rent or don’t exist & try to lure you in with the promise of low rent, or great amenities. Their goal is to get your money before you find out.